Flapjacks are a classic. Plus they are super easy to make and only require four ingredients – oats, butter, brown sugar and golden syrup. Just remember not to burn the sugar, butter and syrup mixture and not to over cook them or else they will end up breaking someone’s tooth…
You will need:
3oz/75g Light Brown Sugar
3 tbsps Golden Syrup
3 ½oz/100g Milk Chocolate (To cover the top of the flapjacks)
2oz/57g Glace Cherries/Raisins/Sultanas
½ tbsp Peanut Butter/Chocolate Spread (If using – reduce the amount of golden syrup to 2½ tbsps)
Let’s get started!
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5.
- Light grease your tin (Roughly 18×30.5x4cm/7x11x1½in – It doesn’t have to be exact) and line with grease-proof/baking paper.
- Melt butter, golden syrup and sugar (Along with peanut butter/chocolate spread if using) in a pan over a low heat until combined.
- Add the oats and stir until all oats are covered with the mixture (If using cherries, raisins or sultanas add them now).
- Tip the mixture into the tin and press down well.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes, until the mixture firms up and turns golden (Keep checking the flapjacks to prevent overcooking!).
- Cool in the tin, and after 15 minutes mark into bars to make it easier to cut when cool.
- Cut and remove from tin (If using chocolate – melt either in a bowl over a pan of simmering water or carefully in the microwave, being extra careful to not let the chocolate burn. Then drizzle or spread over the top!).
- You are all done! 🙂
I really like this recipe as it is so simple. From start to finish it takes under an hour and most of that is waiting and trying not to eat them before they have cooled (Very tricky I promise you! Especially if like me you can’t resist eating any scrap of mixture left on spoons, spatulas, saucepans…) You can keep it simple or add peanut butter, cherries, marshmallows – almost anything to be honest! Another favourite of mine is sprinkling some of the flapjack crumbs onto vanilla ice cream for a tasty, chewy and crunchy topping.
Special thanks to Sophia for all her help with producing such tasty flapjacks and for saving me from myself by taking half away afterwards… ♥
A Bake in the Life…