This recipe is inspired by a photo I saw on Pinterest, of a delicious looking cookie dough ball coated in dark chocolate. As soon as I saw it I knew exactly how I would make them, and it all started with my favourite cookie recipe! As these cookie dough truffles aren’t baked I substituted the egg used in the original recipe for a few tbps of milk, however you may find that you don’t actually need this and the mixture will already be firm enough.
Cookie Dough Truffles
You will need:
3½oz/100g Light Brown Sugar
4½oz/125g Caster Sugar
1-2 tbps Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Flavouring/Extract
8oz/225g Self Raising Flour
½ tsp Salt
7oz/200g Chocolate Chips (Milk,dark,white – whatever you like!)
250g Chocolate (Again, you can use milk, dark, white or a combination plus drizzled decoration)
Let’s get started!
- Grease and line a baking tray with grease proof paper/baking paper (I managed to fit all the cookie dough truffles on one baking tray but you may need more depending on how big you make yours).
- Cream together the butter and sugars until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and combine well.
- Sift in the flour and salt then add the chocolate chips.
- Once mixed add milk, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough is firm enough to hold it’s shape when rolled into balls.
- Roll all the dough into balls and place on the lined baking tray (What size you make them is completely up to you, however I choose a fairly small size as I wanted them to be bite sized and also not be too sickly).
- Cover in cling film and place in the fridge until they are firm (This can be a few hours or overnight).
- Melt the chocolate either over a pan of boiling water (Making sure the bottom doesn’t touch the water) or carefully in the microwave.
- Drop each cookie dough ball into the melted chocolate, lifting it out using a fork to allow excess chocolate to drain off before placing back onto the greased and lined baking tray.
- You can do all the truffles in one type of chocolate or you can alternate (I decided to do most milk with a few white, I also decorated the top of the milk chocolate truffles with drizzled white chocolate).
- Re cover with cling film and return to the fridge until the chocolate has set.
- You are all done! 🙂
I love how these truffles look on the baking tray, it makes me feel like I am in an expensive chocolaterie looking at all the beautiful chocolates lined up ready to be chosen. I think I got the size just right, not too much cookie dough to make them too sweet and just the right balance of chocolate coating. I used milk chocolate chips, however I think these would work really well with white chocolate chips too. When I make these again, I would love to play around a bit more with the decoration – maybe using dark chocolate as well!
If you find you can spare a few cookie dough truffles before coating them in chocolate you should definitely try making your own Ben and Jerry’s inspired cookie dough ice cream! Simply melt some plain vanilla ice cream until softened (I just popped it into the microwave for a few seconds) but not completely runny, stir in a few whole or crumbled cookie dough balls and chill until set again. You could even make your own ice cream if you are feeling fancy 🙂
A Craft in the Life…