Whenever I am browsing through cookery books I always seem to end up choosing a recipe that feeds my love for the taste of citrus! This cake caught my eye as I was looking through a Mary Berry recipe book while back home for a week in Oxfordshire. There is nothing quite like a traditional sponge cake, but I do like to try and liven it up a bit with a fresh taste that stops it from becoming too heavy and sickly. Originally this recipe was a one layer sponge with a simple orange juice icing sugar topping, however I decided to split the batter into two tins to make a double layered cake and top it with a cream cheese frosting instead 🙂
Double Orange Cake
You will need:
For a double layered cake
6 oz/175g Butter
6 oz/175g Caster Sugar
6 oz/175g Self Raising Flour
1½ tsp Baking Powder
Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
Cream cheese icing
10½ oz/ 300g Icing Sugar
2oz/ 50g Butter
4½oz/ 125g Cream Cheese
Grated zest of 1 orange
Let’s get started!
- Pre heat your oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4, and grease/line two 6in/15cm cake tins.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the self raising flour and baking powder, stir to combine fully.
- Beat together the eggs, then add the orange rind and juice.
- Add to the dry ingredients and beat well until completely blended.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two tins, spread flat and bake in the pre heated oven for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- In a separate bowl beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Sift in the icing sugar and beat together for around 5 minutes until the icing becomes thick and fluffy.
- Once the cakes are cool, fill and top with the cream cheese icing then decorate with grated orange zest or a slice of orange.
- You are all done!
I really like that the orange zest gives this sponge cake tons of citrus flavour, while the juice keeps the cake moist. You could of course substitute the orange for another citrus fruit, but I love the colour orange zest/juice gives to this cake and the icing. The cream cheese icing complimented the cake well, and I would definitely recommend trying it out! Although I decided to make a double layered sponge cake I think this recipe would work well as cupcakes, topped with cream cheese icing and one of my favourite jelly oranges/lemons 🙂
A Bake in the Life…